I can’t believe that in a few weeks my boys will be three years old. Even though the past three years have gone by at warp speed it seems like an eternity since the 2:00 a.m. feedings, constant diaper changes, and I honestly can not even remember the crawling phase. They change so much every day. I’m always telling Becca that every time things seem to get easy with the boys it’s time for a new transition and the process starts all over. When they finally started to take their bottles quickly it was time for them to start with baby food. Once they could handle baby food without needing to be hosed off it was time for them to start eating table food. When they were finally able to handle just about going anywhere in public we threw out the diapers and started potty training. There are few things more terrifying than being in a store with both boys when one of them suddenly gets the urge to go! As luck would always have it I’m usually the farthest distance away from the bathrooms as possible, the stalls are occupied or filthy, and when all is said and done it was a false alarm! Even though some days are exhausting and difficult, it is a huge blessing and honor to be a dad of two crazy boys and I would not trade it for anything. Usually in those crazy times Becca and I will look at each other, laugh, and say “we prayed for this?” The fact that the boys are almost three is extra significant to us. Three years is how long we prayed, cried, and struggled to have a baby. There were stacks of adoption papers and lists of specialists and the lingering question of, not would we be parents, but when and how? Then came the day when I sat next to my wife, staring a fuzzy monitor, pretending to see what it was the doctor was pointing out, all while trying to digest what she was telling us. “Mr. and Mrs. Calvert, see this little blip? That’s your baby! Congratulations, and, oh, wait, you see this other blip? Well, that’s your other baby!” I still remember us getting in the car and not saying a word for about a minute. Wow. Twins?! There was no anxiety, no fear or stress, just overwhelming joy and gratitude for a Savior that meets all of our needs and MORE! I always joke with people and tell them that someone was praying just a little too hard for us to get pregnant! So my perspective after three years of fatherhood is this: God’s sovereignty, timing, and plans are perfect. The three years that Becca and I struggled to have a baby was a time that God used to strengthen our faith, grow our marriage, and prepare our home and finances to be parents. It is a high calling, an honor, and a blessing to be Nathan and Jordan’s dad. Not to mention that I get to parent my boys alongside my best friend who is beautiful, Godly, and a rock star of a mom! Seriously, I do not know how she works a full time demanding job and then takes such amazing care of her three boys, I am so grateful. She is my hero (Becca, Bono, and Dirk, that’s the order!). God is good, all the time. -Bryan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
oh, sweet Bryan.....You have me crying ......Becca and YOU are fabu parents, just wish that I could witness it on a daily basis....love you guys.
Post a Comment