It was a happy day yesterday! We were able to bring Carson home from the NICU to join the family. Now my family of SIX is all together. This was a day we have been longing for since I was put on bedrest last September. September 15 to January 30 seemed like such long months. I was just waiting and waiting for the arrival of these little ones and praying for weeks along the way. We praise the Lord that these babies made it to 34 weeks. Last Tuesday, I was up at the NICU feeding Carson his bottle and the Neonatologist, Dr. K, stopped by to visit with me. She gave me two options...Carson could stay at the hospital and they could continue to wean him off of the oxygen or he could come home with us on oxygen and follow up with his Pediatrician and a Pediatric Pulmonologist. After visiting with the doctor, we decided it would be best for Carson to come home! I was given a 90 minute tutorial on Carson's oxygen and pulse-ox monitor by the children's home healthcare respiratory therapist. It was A LOT of information in 90 minutes. I am sure we will become more and more accustomed to his nasal cannula and oxygen tanks at home. But it still makes me a tiny bit of a nervous wreck. According to doctor's orders, Carson is homebound and we are to limit his visitors. His lungs are still very small and it would be very scary if he got sick. I have never been too much of a germ freak before but I am a total germ freak now. We wash hands every time we come in to the house and frequently throughout the day. Luckily Nathan and Jordan have jumped on the handwashing bandwagon too!
Harper came back to the hospital for some pictures with brother by the hospital photographer...and they actually turned out pretty good!
Carson is in his car seat ready to go home!
I got teary-eyed saying good-bye to some of Carson's nurses. Annabelle was Carson's nurse on his really critical night when he was one day old. She will always hold a special place in my heart. Elizabeth and Cindy were Carson's primary care nurses. I know they truly cared about Carson and loved on him and I always felt good when they were there to take care of him. Linda and I had a special connection because I taught one of her sons when he was in 5th grade. Now he's a senior in high school! I love how Linda oohed and aahhed over Carson's cuteness. Dr. K and Dr. T were incredible! They made great decisions to help Carson and get him well. I know there was about 72 hours where they were really not sure if Carson was going to live. I am thankful for their dedication and perseverance. These doctors are great instruments for the Lord's mighty work.
Going down the elevator for the last time!
All four of my babies together for the very first time! Nathan and Jordan were so excited to finally meet Carson.
So happy to have my baby at home...we continue to pray that his lungs get stronger and stronger. We pray a hedge of protection around him from illness and germs. He's a true fighter. As Bryan says, "small lungs, big heart." Carson has a long road ahead of him. The doctors have said it could take 2 to 7 years for his lungs to fully catch up with himself. His chest still pumps up and down so intensely just to breathe. He's on a higher calorie formula to make up for the calories he burns breathing. He's one special kid and we could not be more grateful to be chosen to be his parents.
4 comments:
The Lord has really blessed you as a parent and God has made you a stronger beliver. Now you must teach your children about the Lord and He who saved them. I pray for y'all, and praise the Lord for his blessings. Praise Jesus!
What amazing news! I have been praying for Carson constantly & was thrilled to see this post! All of you will continue to be in my prayers. Love you!
Aww, praise the Lord Becca! Sent up several sincere prayers when I heard about Baby C's lungs. So glad things are working for good.
Keep you and your babies in prayer,
G.
Praise God! I have been cheking on the blog! So happy to hear the good news!
Post a Comment